FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com

Thursday, August 25, 2011

pb & cake



Yesterday, I attended a lunch presentation about the state of obesity in Mississippi. (Basically, it's a problem.)


The yogurt parfait served as dessert, while good, did not satisfy my sweet tooth, even after I ate an extra one. So, last night, I made a cake.


It wasn't really my idea. After dinner, Kaytie said she wanted some cake. I always want cake, but I was feeling a bit lazy, so I wasn't really sold on making a cake until Kaytie started talking about peanut butter icing. That got me motivated, and since we are not obese, I looked up a Cook's Illustrated chocolate cake recipe. They suggested serving the cake with a dusting of powdered sugar, which I'm sure is nice.


But powdered sugar ain't got nothin' on this peanut butter icing.


(Because this is thick, it may be more accurately labeled as frosting, not icing, but when I was growing up, if it was spread on a cake, it was icing, no matter the consistency. Besides, who cares about semantics? It's delicious.)


Peanut Butter Icing


makes enough to ice a 2-layer 9-inch cake


1 stick room temperature butter

1 cup creamy peanut butter

2 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup milk


Cream the butter and peanut butter until smooth. (Note: if you decided to make this cake at the last minute, like I did, cold butter out of the fridge will do fine. It'll just take a little longer to get the mixture smooth.)


Beat in the powdered sugar. This may be easier and less dusty if you do it a cup at a time.


Finally, add the milk. Mix it all together until it is smoothly combined.


Ice your cake.


(Because of the milk, I'm keeping this cake in the fridge.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Drew and Kaytie. It's Dana. Kathy's used-to-be-across-the-aisle-neighbor at The Brothers. This recipe made me think about a peanut butter sauce for ice cream. It is my grandmother's recipe. I bet you'd like it.
    1 stick butter
    2 cups brown sugar
    (1) 5 1/3 oz can evaporated milk
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Gradually stir in brown sugar then add peanut butter and milk. Stir constantly until blended. It is best if you eat it warm over ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be trying this peanut butter sauce as soon as humanly possible. Maybe tomorrow. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete